Frequently Asked Questions and Helpful Links

Here you'll find helpful links and answers to frequently asked questions including: hours, payment methods and directions to Canyon Park Licensing.

Can I renew my Driver's License or pick up an Instruction booklet at your office?

No, we do not process Driver’s License related transactions at our office. The State of Washington has separate offices for Driver’s Licensing. Please click here for the location closest to you.

What is a "service fee"?

Canyon Park Licensing is a subagent for the Department of Licensing (DOL). We are not supported by state funds, and we are not employed by the state. We are a privately owned business providing vehicle/vessel licensing and titling services for the DOL. Our office is supported by service fees, which are $5.00 for a non-title transaction, and $12.00 for a title transaction. These fees are set by the state not by the individual subagents.

Why should I do my license or title transaction at a subagent office and pay a service fee?

Your license plates, tabs, and registration certificates are provided while you wait, over our counter. There is no need to worry about items being lost in the mail or tabs not arriving before your  expiration date.

We are also a Quick Title office and can provide a paper title while you wait (fees and conditions apply – please contact us).

When you do business with your local office, you are cultivating and strengthening a relationship with people in your community. You can always call and talk to a live person and ask us questions. Our office is small enough to care and large enough to meet all of your licensing needs. Come see us today!

How do I get to Canyon Park Licensing?

Canyon Park Licensing is located in Bothell at Thrashers Corner Shopping Center. Conveniently located off of Bothell-Everett Hwy.

Our office is in suite H, six doors up from the Safeway grocery store.

Our address is:

20631 Bothell-Everett Hwy Suite H
Bothell, WA 98012

Please see the map at the bottom of our web page for more information.

What are your hours?


Monday through Friday 9am –  6pm.
Saturdays we are open from 9am – 4pm
We are closed on Sundays and Holidays

We will be closed for the following 2019 holidays:

  • New Year’s Day -Tuesday, January 1st
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday – Monday, January 21st
  • President’s Day – Monday, February 18th
  • Memorial Day – Monday, May 27th
  • Independence Day – Thursday, July 4th
  • Labor Day – Monday, September 2nd
  • Veteran’s Day – Monday, November 11th
  • Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 28th and Friday, November 29th
  • Christmas – Wednesday, December 25th

What forms of payment do you accept?

Canyon Park Licensing accepts checks, (from the registered vehicle owner), cash and many credit and debit cards for payment.

We accept the following types of cards

  • VISA debit and credit cards
  • MasterCard credit and debit cards
  • American Express credit cards
  • Discover credit cards

** Please note – There is a flat $2.25 fee for paying by debit card and a $2.25 or 3% fee for paying by credit card (whichever is greater).  These are fees charged by the card processing company used by the Department of Licensing.

** Please make checks out to “Department of Licensing or DOL”

Can I have someone renew my tabs for me?

Registered owners are responsible for renewing  any vehicles and vessels registered in their name.

You can renew the vehicle and/or vessel in person, online or designate someone to renew in person at our office for you.

If you have a relative renew for you, they will need to  provide one of the following:

  • Proof of their relationship to you, or
  • Proof that they have the same last name as you, or
  • Provide a check that contains, their preprinted name, and yours, or
  • Provide a copy of a marriage or birth certificate showing the relationship

If they are not a relative, they will need to bring the following into our office:

  • Written authorization from you, and
  • The renewal notice, and either
  • A signed check from you, or
  • Cash payment

How do I know if I need an emission test this year?

Emission check program ending in 2020

After 38 years, Washington’s emission check program will end Jan. 1, 2020. After this time, vehicle owners will no longer be required to have their vehicle’s emissions tested before renewing their registration. Vehicles scheduled for testing in 2019 still need an emission test before they can renew their tabs.

2019 –  Vehicle years tested: 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008

If you live in one of the emission testing zip codes the Department of Ecology requires emission testing on gasoline and diesel vehicles that are 5 to 25 years old in the following situations:

  • When ownership is transferred, a Washington emission test done within the last year is required, unless the transfer is between immediate family members or co-owners. This applies to vehicles with Washington or out-of-state titles, and is unaffected by whether the license tabs are current or not.
  • When it’s time to renew your Washington license tabs, it will be indicated on your renewal notice if you are required to have an emission test or when you bring a vehicle in from another state that is already in your name, an emission test is required according to the following table:


For additional information including locations, fees and hours, please the Department of Ecology website emissions page

What is the RTA tax? How about local transportation benefit district fees?

If you live in urban areas of King, Pierce, or Snohomish counties, you may be required to pay Regional Transit Authority (RTA) tax. This tax is collected on behalf of Sound Transit to pay for their local transit-related projects. Effective March 1, 2017, voters approved an RTA MVET increase to a total rate of 1.1 percent.

Find out if you’re required to pay and get an estimate of how much for:

When is the RTA tax collected?

  • When you renew your tabs or
  • When you purchase a new or used vehicle and register it in your name.

How is the RTA tax calculated?
The RTA tax is an excise tax of 1.1%, which means it’s calculated based on the value of your vehicle. For the purposes of this tax, your vehicle’s value is set by the state legislature and isn’t based on the fair market value.
Which types of vehicles are subject to RTA tax?

Transportation benefit districts and fees

RCW 36.73.020 allows city or county governments to create transportation benefit districts and impose an additional vehicle registration fee to fund local transportation projects.

How a transportation benefit district works:
Once a local transportation benefit district is set up, the district’s board of directors may vote to charge a local vehicle licensing fee due when a vehicle owner buys new tabs.

The transportation benefit district board has the authority to impose a fee of up to $20 per vehicle without voter approval.
A transportation benefit district may impose a vehicle renewal fee of up to $100 per vehicle or seek other sources of funding if approved by voters.
If you live in any of the following locations, you must pay an additional transportation benefit district fee when you renew your vehicle tabs.

What is Good to Go? What do I need to know about it?

Good To Go! is Washington state’s electronic tolling system.

Where is Good To Go! used?



All-electronic tolling using a Good To Go! pass or Pay By Plate
Carpools must have a Good To Go! Flex Pass set to HOV mode to travel toll-free in the express toll lanes
How do I pay the tolls?
You do not need an account or vehicle pass to use a tolled bridge. However, the easiest and least expensive way to pay is with a Good To Go! Pass Account. Choose the option that’s best for you.

Ways to Pay:

1. Good To Go! Pass Account – best option for commuters

Open a pre-paid account and purchase a Good To Go! pass
Pay the lowest toll rate

2. Pay By Plate Account
Open a pre-paid account and register your license plate number; no Good To Go! pass needed
Extra 25-cent charge per toll than the Good To Go! pass rate

3. Pay By Mail
No account or vehicle pass necessary
Simply drive across a toll facility; we will mail you a toll bill within 14 days of initially crossing
Most expensive way to pay; best option for infrequent users

4. Short Term Account – best option for visitors and rental car drivers
Can be opened within 72 hours after using a tolled facility or prior to planned travel
Open an account to charge tolls directly to your debit or credit card
Valid for up to 14 days and then it automatically closes

5. Commercial Account
For businesses and individuals with more than six vehicles

6. Government Agency Account
For federal and state agencies, local governments and transit

7. Unregistered Pass Account
No identifying personal information required
Must open this account in person at any Good To Go! customer service center

Rental Cars
Drivers using a rental car can open a Short Term Account to pay their toll within 72 hours of crossing the SR 520 or Tacoma Narrows bridges. We recommend you check with your rental car agency to review their policy regarding tolls if you plan to travel a tolled bridge in a rental car.

The closest locations to our office to pick up your passes are :

Fred Meyer
21045 Bothell Everett Highway
Bothell, WA 98021 – sticker and Flex Pass

18921 Bothell Way NE
Bothell, WA 98011 – sticker only

22833 Bothell-Everett Highway
Bothell, WA 98021 – sticker only

Please note: The Good To Go! sticker pass and Flex Pass are the only passes available at retail stores. Not all stores carry both – see below noted on each store “sticker only,” “Flex only,” or “sticker and Flex.” License plate passes and motorcycle passes are available online, by phone (1-866-936-8246), or at our customer service centers in Seattle, Bellevue and Gig Harbor. See all pass options.

To find local other retail locations that sell passes, please click here.

Helpful Links

Links and phone numbers  for:


Local Certified Scale Locations:

**Before visiting a scale house, please call them to confirm hours of operation and ask about fees.

Cadman Inc.
19221 High Rock Rd
Monroe, WA 98272


Icon Materials Inc.
1115 So. 96th St
Seattle, WA 98108


Topsoils, Inc.
18827 Yew Way
Snohomish, WA 98296


Ernie’s Fuel Stops LLC
22018 84th Ave S
Kent, WA 98032


Translate »